In 2007 ,Five million people died in the world as a direct result of tobacco.
In 20th Century, tobacco epidemic killed 100 million people world-wide.
About 100,000 people die annually due to tobacco use.
Tobacco use is a risk factor for six out of eight leading causes of death in the world.
Tobacco Control Legislation
Government of Pakistan has clearly defined in Section 3 of the Ordinance of the Prohibition of Smoking and Protection of Non-smokers Health Ordinance 2002 that following are declared 100% smoke free places.
- All Government and private offices/ places of work have been declared 100% smoke free in whole Pakistan that no person can smoke in the places of work as an employee.
- Educational institutions: All schools in the country, Primary, Secondary, Higher Secondary, all Colleges, Intermediate degree, Medical Colleges, Engineering Colleges, Agriculture and all other institutions and all the Universities, private or Government have declared 100% smoke free. No student, teacher, persons who are working in the above mentioned institutions and all heads of institutions cannot smoke in the premises.
No tobacco products can be sold within the 50 meters area of the premises of all above mentioned.
- Health Care Establishments: All hospitals Government or private, Dispensaries, Basic Health Units, Laboratories, Clinics and any other establishment which can be used for the health care purposes are declared 100 % smoke free.
Doctors, Paramedical staff and all other staff who is providing his /her services to the health care establishment cannot smoke in the premises of all above mentioned.
- Hotels, Restaurants, Bars and Cafes: All hotels First Star to Seven Star, all restaurants, Bars and Cafes and any other establishment which is providing its services regarding hotel ling and eatery businesses are declared 100% smoke free. No person can smoke in the above mentioned.
- Sports Establishments: Regarding all sports establishments Government and Private indoor, outdoor, all fitness clubs, Gymnasiums and all Stadiums for ladies and gents of the country are declared 100% smoke free. All sports men/women, Instructors, Organizers and all other persons who are directly or indirectly involved in these establishments cannot smoke in the premises.
- Public Transport: All types of transport, buses, wagons, cabs and any other public vehicles which are used for public, are declared 100% smoke free. No body can smoke as a passenger including drivers and conductors in public transport.
- All Airports and Domestic Flights: All Airports of the country including waiting areas and all lounges are declared 100% smoke free.
All flights which are flying in Pakistan carrying the passengers place to place in different cities are declared 100% smoke free. No Person can smoke in the Aero planes as a passenger including all crew members.
- Railway Stations and Trains: All Railway Stations, waiting halls/rooms and all trains are declared 100% smoke free.
Any person who violates the above mentioned can be fined. Fine and punishments are as under:
- One thousand rupees.
- Second offence One thousand rupees and may extend to One hundred thousand rupees. Imprisonment which may extend to three months or with the fine of not less than One hundred thousand rupees or both. Details can be seen in the Ordinance “Prohibition of Smoking and Protection of Non-Smokers Health Ordinance 2002”, Section 11.
AUTHORISED PERSONS WHO CAN FINE THE VIOLATORS
- All police officers of the rank of ASI and above
- All members of parliament and provincial Assemblies
- All officers in BPS 20 and above, District, Tehsil and Union Council Nazims and their deputies.
- Heads of Educational Institutions, Managers of the Establishments, Hotels, Restaurants and Cafes (where services are provided to public) Hospitals, all crew members, Drivers, Conductors and Guards of trains, of all public transport.